Monday, November 12, 2007

Don't Count Me Out: A Study in Good Intentions

Its been a while since I've last blogged, and I think it's time I got serious about it. Why now? Because I'm about to have 5 small children, and so, of course, I'm anticipating having a lot of time on my hands.

What have I been up to lately? Well, being awesome, of course. There's been a lot of picking-things-up-off-the-floor, which, at 8 months pregnant is probably the height of my awesomeness. I've also been really busy getting things for a demanding 2 year-old. Lots of sippy cups and fishy crackers, rice krispies, and whatever tickles his fancy at the moment. I think his demanding nature and penchant for screaming will serve him well in life in a number of lucrative fields. Right now I'm thinking a career in politics or organized crime. It also reminds me that not only am I not the center of the universe, and that I can't even remember the names and order of the planets in my actual universe. But I do remember that I'm still mad that the scientific community no longer formally recognizes Pluto. At least I remember that. It's something. Information that I used to know--information that I once thought was useful--has now been replaced by how many clicks it takes on my remote control to get through the commercials to a new episode of Diego. (three)

I've been meaning to get a lot of things done before the baby comes. At the top of my list is reminding people that this is my FIFTH child and that I'm REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE. I used to pride myself in "sucking it up" and "putting on a brave face," but I realize now that that is a waste of both time and resources. It's much easier to complain (who knew!). So far complaining has gotten me nowhere, and I still have to cook and clean and carry the laundry baskets up and down the stairs.

I have a lot of good intentions for blogging, and although a lot of them might be considered more "angry letters to the editor" than the "whimsical musings of a stay-at-home mom," I will try my best to keep things going and document this time in my life, and not be too angry (although I have some really great stories about Gina!). And doesn't the world need more "oh motherhood is SO crazy! But, shoot, we just love it!" blogs?

9 comments:

Bek said...

ITS. ABOUT. TIME.

We need to hear about Las Vegas shows and eating room service at The Palms...etc, etc.

Wait? Being pregnant is uncomfortable.... crap.

La Yen said...

Yay for you, you gestatrix, you. I will always read your things.

Emily S. said...

I know it's a little late, but does any of your kids have one of those grabber things? They are great for picking up toys, binkies, clothes, etc, off the floor when in the 8-9 month...

Unknown said...

Lisa - why do we create blogs for ourselves and then let them sit as daily reminders as how unsuccessful we are at blogging? Do I need another thing to fail at? Sorry pregnancy sucks. You know what else sucks? Kids who don't sleep and other kids who un-potty train themselves. Don't really see a silver lining there...
When your husband is done with red carpet events, can we have you over for dinner? Or cook dinner and bring it to your house? No expecations. There can be crap all over the floor.

Jenny Donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny Donna said...

Lisa I miss and love you. Sorry about the Project Runway fiasco...
You know what? I am mad about Pluto as well.

wendysue said...

Oh, such is our life is it not? "I've been meaning to get a lot of things done". . .too bad I love t.v.

And what kind of super remote do you have. . it takes me 6 clicks to get through.

kacy faulconer said...

Oh, Lisa--motherhood is so crazy but shoot. . . it also sucks.

I re-learned the planets when Steve sang a charming song about them on Blues Clues. It went a little something like this (hit it): "Oh the sun's a hot star, Mercury's hot too. Venus is the brightest planet and Earth's home to me and you! Mars is the red one and Jupiter's most wide. Saturn's got those icy rings and Uranus spins on its side. Neptune's really windy and Pluto's really small. We wanted to name the planets and now we've named them all."

I know as a mother you are always learning more and bettering yourself so I hope that helps. Ignore that last part in the song about Pluto.

topher clark said...

Attention, y'all: Lisa's Science Fiction Literature won the Monty McMahon Award for excellence in pre-collegiate independent study. It's a huge honor.

Congrats!!!!